Sunday, November 11, 2007

Being Me

This has been on my mind lately...I just find it really interesting how people perceive others and it has really been having me think lately.

My whole life I have been labeled by others as "outgoing." This perception of me has been from my joy in greeting others happily when I see them or meet them for the first time or just treat others with kindness. I have heard over and over...you are so outgoing. For some reason I have always felt that I have had to live up to this label that in fact isn't completely me.

So yes initially I may seem outgoing but it is then at this point (after my initial greeting or after my first time with people) that I usually loose my outgoing side. I become very introvert or to myself which is actually how I see myself or feel inside. It is my nervousness at first that makes that outgoing side come out when in fact I am really to myself. I have noticed lately that I can actually be stand offish to others (which I try not to be but it always happens). Sometimes I wonder if I seem rude so I try hard to cover it up...such a battle!

What has been making me think of this and how I have been labled my whole life is the labeling of my daughter...She is so shy...What a cute shy little girl...Has she always been so shy...wow she is actually talking. I have heard it so much that I now say to others when she doesn't want to talk or chooses not to...she's shy.

I just want to let her know (and be an example of) that she is to be all that God created her to be...nothing more, nothing less. He made us in his pure perfection and we are absolutely perfect in his eyes no matter if we are outgoing or shy.

Thanks for letting me share and get that off my chest.

5 comments:

Seagers said...

I love listening to or reading your heart. You are so right on that God created us all in His image, with different strengths in our personalities. With the goal to glorify Him, we can do this in so many ways. I really liked Chiara's past blog about being "shy" though. Check it out.

Jennifer Gray said...

God certainly does create us in His image for his purposes. Funny though about first impressions...my first impression of your daughter was that she was not shy at all. She seemed friendly and outgoing. Funny. :)
Either way, I'm excited to see her get older and grow in the Lord and His plan for her life.
Jen Gray

Chiara said...

Being shy is hard. I was painfully so as a child. I compensate a bit now, but I'm not the extrovert I wish I were. God gives us all different strengths and weaknesses, which he uses to mold us perfectly to His likeness. It is awesome that Kendra has a mom who understands her struggle and can love her and relate to her during those uncomfortable,scary situations. What a blessing you are to her!

Donielle... said...

Amen! Amen! AMEN!!!! I don't know what else to say except that I get it...I really get it!

Miss you guys! :)

Stephanie said...

I am so thankful that God made you like you are. If it wasn't for your initial outgoing side, we may have never gotten to be the best of friends. And Kendra - what a blessing she is! It's been a joy to watch her blossom over this past year. God's got great plans for her.