Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Gift of Friendship


I truly believe that one of God's many gifts to us is the gift of friendship. I have really seen it at different points in my life and am thankful for the friends I have been blessed with!


Today we went to Disneyland for a couple of hours with the Densers. Being together made me realize that I am so thankful to have really good friends not only for me but for my kids! Later in the afternoon, I started to think about the conversations I will have with my kids someday on the importance of choosing friends wisely, and of being a good friend to others.


So, I've begun a list of some qualities that make a really good friend...according to me. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please feel free to add anything I've left off!

A good friend calls you out of the blue.
A good friend listens and truly cares.
A good friend is someone you can talk to honestly about your kids or your husband, knowing that she gets how much you adore them!
A good friend will still choose to see the best in your loved ones even though she knows some top secret stuff about them!
A good friend will never betray their confidence.
A good friend will never judge you even when you really tell it like it is!
A good friend knows that you are a work in progress and accepts you where you are.
A good friend listens and discuss things with you as you try to figure them out... and undserstands you for who you are.
A good friend tells the truth in love and tries to do it in a way that helps/doesn't hurt.
A good friend sees all the wonderful things about you and reminds you of them occasionally.
A good friend sticks up for you.
A good friend is like a cheerleader...encouraging you to keep going!
A good friend is one who laughs with you, and cries with you, and prays for you!
A good friend is available to help when you need it.
A good friend encourages your walk with God...and reminds you to be thankful in all things....knowing that...
"Every good and perfect gift comes from above."

There are so many other qualities I have seen through friends in my own life but this is a short list that reminds me of how thankful I am!

Visiting Mickey...what a fun day we had!

3 comments:

Katie D said...

you couldn't have said it any better!! I too am so greatful for the friendship we have, our children have, and our husbands have....aren't we lucky!!

Goodman's said...

Love this!!

Seagers said...

I love it that you are my friend...